Lien Negotiation Specialist
Salary- $48,000 - $70,000 a year
Job Type- Full-time
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
Full Job Description
A Lien Negotiation Specialist acts as the primary reviewer and negotiator of Single Event liens submitted to MASSIVE: Medical and Subrogation Specialists (MASSIVE). The Lien Negotiation Specialist will review liens submitted by insurance companies, subrogation firms, and other lien holders to identify unrelated items and to identify lien holder rights. The Lien Negotiation Specialist will work in a team with a MASSIVE Attorney, Lien Resolution Managers (LRM), and Intake Administrators (IA).
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Review initial, updated and final liens for payments unrelated to the lawsuit;
- Review those liens and accompanying plan language and/or laws to determine lien holders’ rights;
- Document unrelated items and estimate potential reductions; and,
- Utilize Attorney and Nurse as resources where needed.
Lien Holder Contact
- Contact subrogation firms, lien holders, and health insurers to ensure MASSIVE receives requested information from those organizations;
- During the post-settlement phase of cases with the goal of finalizing liens, make arguments to reduce liens, follow-up on disputes, argue the merits of those disputes where necessary;
- Engage MASSIVE’s attorneys as needed for legal arguments;
- Utilize telephone, email, fax, online portals, and regular mail to complete any necessary contact and follow-up;
- Develop relationships with representatives of those organizations to improve and expedite the contact process;
- Assist other team members with non-responsive companies, subrogation firms, and other lien holders by sharing knowledge gained through lien holder contact;
- Discuss opportunities for change with those organizations and other inter-company communication improvements.
Workflow & File Management
- Maintain workflows by studying MASSIVE methods and, when appropriate, discussing improvements to those workflows with managers;
- Maintain MASSIVE’s proprietary software, the Claim Tracking System (CTS), including client information updates and workflow management;
- Ensure smooth operations and workflow procedures through data discovery and detection of lien holders' patterns during normal day-to-day work;
- Contribute to the team effort by accomplishing team-related results.
- Receive all new information, liens, subrogation information requests, etc. via mail, fax, and email;
- Organize and disburse received information to appropriate team members while simultaneously updating the CTS system to indicate such receipt and disbursement of information;
- File said information into appropriate locations, both electronic and physical.
Knowledge of subrogation and lien resolution experience is required. Experience in subrogation with Medicare, state Medicaid programs, ERISA, or other health insurers is necessary whether working on behalf of the insurance companies or the injured parties.
The Lien Negotiation Specialist must have a comfortable working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite of applications as well as the ability to utilize web-based systems such as the MASSIVE Claim Tracking System. Either an undergraduate degree or some office experience is preferred.
Teamwork is important to the success of MASSIVE, so strong interpersonal skills are a must. A Lien Negotiation Specialist must be self-motivated and willing to work with the ebb and flow of an ever-changing task list. Outgoing personalities are more likely to succeed in this role when considering the high volume of subrogation contact - including that on the telephone.
A Lien Negotiation Specialist will be expected to become knowledgeable in the MASSIVE
workflows. He or she will need to adapt to various subrogation firms’ roadblocks and even
internal changes as the process of lien resolution is always evolving. They must have or develop within 90 days of employment, a solid understanding of the workflows we implement. Finally, a Lien Negotiation Specialist must understand the reasons for certain actions we take, including putting the customer first and acknowledging the customers; perception of what we do is nearly as important as the actual successes.
No travel is expected for this position.
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
Monday to Friday
- Commission pay
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- One location
- Yes, always